Thursday, May 31, 2007

树倒猢狲散

There's been a recent increase in the number of deaths caused by trees or branches of trees. Seems like the media report them with plenty of zeal and concern.
Seriously, I can't imagine how that happens.

Ok, if you are asleep, I guess it's sheer bad luck.

But if not, there should be some sonic indication that the branch or the trunk is falling??? No?
Especially if it's the whole falling trunk. The inertia possessed by the flora itself would provide quite good time to escape, unless of course, there's nowhere to run to.

Well, it's not that I'm not sympathetic. Just really curious how it happens, and unable to imagine the process of it all. I gotta prepare some defense mechanisms against tree falling in my next trekking trips!

And just last week I was showing my science class how falling trees serve as a chance for forest floor to survive and revive!

No comments: