Friday, June 01, 2007

中重奖

Have got to hand it to Kenneth Hesketh.

Early music melodies are often modal and essentially repetitive. But the counterpoint written for the cantus firmus is tremendously colourful. The opening movement for Danceries is one such great example. Hell, there's at least 6 things going on at any one time(yes! it makes it very difficult to arrange for guitars, lots of hair tearing involved.), the parts display plenty of independence from each other, some of them forming their own line and sounds almost totally disassociative.

The blend they make is one masterpiece.

It's really meaningless to identify which chord is at which bar or beat; the counterpoint interplay is such well-intertwined dissonance and consonance. With myself being unfamiliar with modal tendencies, it's really hard for me to say where's the triad chord!

Anyway, this is a BIG work, spanning 4 movements. I'm working on it and wondering along the way if it's a little too much to ask of the musicians. Certainly the technical dexterity does not come close to that of Capriccio Espangnol, but the rhythmic and musical aspect may be more than it seems to be a simple 6-8 reverie.

Nonetheless, I'm quite determined to expose the guys to some early music, less we always get stuck at Bach or Handel, which are already essentially very much in the tonal arena. I don't think they want to do the F major Brandenburg straight after they return from their competition, less they still possess the nightmare debris of the G major counterpart. Ha ha ha.

I'm really hoping the full score of "Impressions of Japan" comes by too soon. I've ordered for it after knowing Robert is unable to find his copy, and apparently it's not exactly on its way yet. This is another folk thing that would do us good if we ever set foot onto Japan again, or in the event some Niibori Prof decides to pop by.

With Wai going away to do her masters, I've managed to assign/arrow/convince Jin to take up the soprano void. Looking for some 2 members to fill in some shoes in the group too. Hmmm. perhaps the masters is a ruse to allow her to transfer out of the Soprano and into the Prime section after she returns(if she returns). Gonna miss (or not!) all that relentless string plucking during rehearsals, ah well, then again, I don't think Jin is going to display any significant difference in rehearsal behaviour. Ho ho ho =)

Sounding chirpy today eh? Kinda happy and bored. Oh well, I guess it's a clear sign that life's treating me well.

I even got an invitation from maestro Hiong Gai Gai to play in a concerto.
Hell, how come TOTO never so lucky?!?!?!?

1 comment:

Wai said...

I think he's even worse than me, so you can have that to look forward to when you get back. He even talks to himself and grumbles! ;)

You could try to play some simple early music. I think one thing that needs building after my trip here is the musicality of the group. Of course, they are going to miss the point completely and grumble about being bored even though the piece still sounds like crap because they are just playing it straight and not neatly at that. Still, Expose is a good place to start with this. It might even make them play more together.

Anyway, this is a very costly ploy you are accusing me of, but it sounds like a good idea! Hehheh. Do enjoy yourselves and blog to keep me updated!