Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Can we buy scores from the library?

One of the silliest things that have happened to me.

You see, I heard this piece called Malambo in Ginastera's Estancia. Fascinated I was, so I went online to purchase the score(along with it the four scottish dances). And then I went to Esplanade and found the score there too!!! Ok never mind, since I've already bought it online, there's nothing much I could do. Thing is, I decided to read the score first and borrowed it home. And weeks after I can't seem to find it at all!!! I've ransacked my shelves and all but alas, it's been misplaced.

Days after, the online purchase arrived. I thought about replacing the library's copy with mine(it's exactly the same version/publisher and newer-looking) but I thought the library probably don't have this policy of one-to-one exchange. And so I reported the loss and paid for the book. It's costs $35, which is about the same price(if not less) from the online store.

Which makes me wonder; Maybe I should have "bought" it from the Library instead?
(What do you call this? despicable? inconsiderate? ultimate low life?)

Hmmm.... are there people who do that?

2 comments:

Wai said...

Eh. I wouldn't be surprised. I've certainly considered it before, especially with older and rarer books that you can't get anymore.

Of course, there are also those who steal the library books outright. It used to be really easy if you know how. I swear that's where all the missing books I want to read go. :p

Seems more than a little selfish to steal a common resource and make it unavailable for use by others.

Morality is knowing when not to do the wrong thing right?

Owls said...

I like that last statement!
Well said!

Anyway, I've never dreamt of stealing a library book. Don't see a rationale nor a necessity to do that.