Monday, July 03, 2006

天官赐福? 飞来横祸?

When CFA rang me up and asked if I were interested to be GENUS’s next Music Director, I was really very apprehensive about it. Being not exactly qualified for the job; I have no music degree, not even a Guitar Grade 8, for that matter. I only picked up instrument playing at the age of 19, and yes, that makes this year the 10th anniversary for me. I mean. Compared to those who have studied Piano or whatever since pre-primary school, my number of years in meddling with music is insignificant and late.

Anyway, I sort of just sat on the issue, and waited for some divine force to steer the way.

豪子说: “他们敢 offer, 你就 take up loh.”

Ok, so I decided to give it a shot and proceeded to meet up with the CFA staff/tutors for an interview/discussion. I was also supposed to send in my CV three weeks ago from now, which I have gallantly procrastinated and ignored till now. Jianqun told me I probably don’t have to send it in anymore since he heard some news that CFA has already decided who to hire.

As this juncture, I must explain that the main reason why I’ve not submitted the CV is that I don’t have much to write and I am too lazy to go about it. Nutshell, it’s a chore to me. I felt that I had already said all I wanted to say and informed the CFA staff of my relevant experiences during the interview. So there.

Anyway, there are many concerns I have in my head. Firstly, of course, is that I don’t really represent well in terms of qualifications for GENUS. I mean, Raj is like guitar diploma holder and the MD is a Yamaha grade 6??? Er… like 怪怪的. Well, personally I don’t mind lah, cos I don’t care what others say, but it may make GENUS look like it’s now headed by imbecile. Oh well, I dispelled that, telling myself as long as I make good music with the group, it doesn’t matter.

Secondly, it’s of course the fact that I have to take the main ensemble(everyone) which I know will not be as fun and rewarding as taking EXPOSE. Fact is, I will have to re-adjust my expectations. Not too difficult to do, except that it may take up more time and disrupt my schedule, EXPOSE practices and all. Well, I thought, nothing can be worse than teaching Sec. 1 Normal Technical students guitar right?

Scores is the third thing. I’m not exactly doing a full-time music career. I may not have time to constantly produce scores at an efficient rate. Main ensemble needs pleasant and easy music, EXPOSE needs challenging and rewarding music. Sheesh…

And then there’s Guitaresque and MASAK. Rehearsal times for the former is alright, but the latter is currently in a state of lull, partly due to the Japan trip, EXPOSE practices and performance avenues. Weekday practices are not exactly fruitful for working people unless there is an immediate goal, so practices are best kept to Saturdays.

那就这样吧!!! 再爱也无需挣扎!

If I get the appointment, I’ll just have to work a bit harder.

If I don’t, I’ll have more time to play badminton with my students!!!

顺应天命!

No comments: