Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Prelude

Heard from Raj that Robert Casteels is going to be our new music director. It’s quite exciting, since this is a conductor who I do not have a pre-concept of prior to joining us. As with Domy, he was already blacklisted in by cerebrum when he threathened to use Thumboo to join the ensemble.

Supposedly brought Philwinds to WMC 2005 and brought back a gold medal in the 1st division. Or was it gold with distinction? Well, Genus is not a wind band, so I believe it’s very much going to be a brand new experience for him and us. I think I’m going to enjoy the sessions, especially after Domy’s dark reign.

I recall years back he wrote a Sonata Profana for some CFA group collaboration item which Terence Choo played in. I remember seeing the guitar part scored in Bass clef and with some annoying long notes. Hey! We might want to get him to work on some Guitar concerto for us to premiere in our concerts.

Genus is finally “normal” again after the Jap group returned. The turnout was pretty good this Sat, at least not relegated to the remains of quintet or quartet numbers. I spent some good time looking through the loot and treasures sought in Japan, temporarily plundered a couple of things. Moh was really nice to have brought back a Yamaha flute catalog to show me. Thanks pal!!! Really appreciate the thought. I should have asked him to see if he could visit the Sankyo flutes and hopefully check out prices, models. Ha ha, just kidding. Ok, trip to Japan next time, sell old flute buy new flute!!! (if the wallet permits)

No comments: