Tuesday, September 19, 2006

闯一闯吧!

Saturday’s rehearsal wasn’t entirely all smooth sailing.
I loved the fact that we got to use the auditorium, but alas, it would prove to be a rather morale stifling venue for the last rehearsal. The group was too used to previous reverberations and did not adjust sufficiently and was much disturbed by the clarity the room had to offer.

I really have to attribute at least 20 % of the success of a performance to the rehearsal venue a music group gets. Constantly playing in sound enhancing areas is never going to help efficiently with cleaning up any piece; actually quite the same with my quartet as well, come to think of it.

“In the mood” got it worst; a spectrum of “jazz”, “semi-jazz” and “non-jazz” rhythmic renditions popped out. I would almost put the standard of this piece at about 70% of Gelato con Caffe; rhythmically challenging and not exactly the easiest piece to achieve cohesion. The group did pretty well, considering it’s the 4th or 5th time we’ve rehearsed it formally. I think the guys did a good job on the effort, perhaps the piece simply needed more time to mature under the players’ fingers. Well, partly my fault, due to my ambitious programming of the performance as well.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that the next one who’s joining us will be required to audition, unless it’s enlistment by invitation. Many reasons entail:
Genus has limited instruments.
The group is sufficiently big in numbers, and rather proportionate as it is.
I need volume!!!
The group needs to keep up its standards, and I don’t have time to give sectionals.

Anyway, the concourse performance will give the group a good boost in exposure and performance expectations. Not to mention the nurturing of 默契.

No comments: