Sunday, March 25, 2007

GENUS 25 years

I must say it's this concert is one of those that "went by faster than the wind". Why? It seem like we had plenty of time to prepare, but somehow the concert dates approached rather quickly and before you know it, we're performing and the concert is over!

Let's talk about rehearsals. I was rather surprised by the ease of pace Robert took most of the practices. Playing under him was pleasant and comfortable. Maybe too comfortable in a certain sense? He seemed exceeding patient with many things, not that it's a bad thing, or that he has simply given up most of hopes. Ha ha ha =) I mean, it's quite logical, looking at his previous and current music groups, an amateur guitar ensemble is nowhere fitting in his range of qualifications and trophies. Nonetheless, I still feel I've learnt things from him and I'm glad he's directing the group.

On the whole, I thought the concert repertoire and quality was not too bad. Backstage judgement that is.

Banderas was the opening and it went by without much problems.

E major was mainly plagued with some multiple tempi differences, one which I discussed with Jin that our section should try our best to stand by the soloist at all costs admist the strong surging currents from the Basses. This concerto is not an easy one, given it's length and technique requirements. Wai has done a pretty good job with the speed we're going at. The tempi problems were already present during rehearsals and it's no surprise they escalated during performance. Something which I felt could have been resolved by Robert or Wai, by insisting on a slightly lower tempo for more metrical reference. Hey we're talking about 20 over year ones and twos, and it's unlikely that they are experienced enough to detect and remedy tempi problems accurately on stage.

I always thought Vanakam is a soloists thing. The Erhu and Sitar parts are far much more colourful than the orchestra's, which is a pity actually. I always felt like a ripieno part(Alto 1), repeating the tunes which the soloists' have carried, with no obvious enhancement nor textural difference or harmonic thickening. So if you listen into the orchestral part, it's not very interesting, hence rehearsals without the soloists' is not very fulfilling aurally. Anyway, this is a cross-cultural thing which will probably win some political favour.

Pictures went by quite well. I forgot to tell Wai not to start Tuileries too fast. As expected, tempo surged and many of my runs became ornamental. Alto 1's sub-division of semiquavers at Bar 2 is horrendous, usually the main culprit in instigating a tempo riot. Luckily the last run was still managed well! Promenade was more stately, Bydlo as well, with the perennial rushing from entering guitar parts. Generally, I think the orchestra has accomplished a lot by putting up this piece. No offence, but years back, the ensemble couldn't even play "Gran Solo" or "Royal fireworks" properly.

Among the small groups, I only caught "Io Che" and "Somewhere in time", both I thought were nicely presented. Backstage opinion of course.

Originally wanted to change to a dark blue shirt for Expose's performance, but alas, tuning Huifen's dizi took longer than usual, and I ran short of time to perform my costume change. At the green room, I wanted to tune her F major dizi 20 cents sharp, but she told me 10 cents is enough. Unconvinced, I brought the tuner on stage to tune her F before we started, and yes, my estimation is correct! Anyway, Leroy sounded good from where I was standing, most of the parts were presented as per rehearsal, only the prime 1 people fly my pigeon on the pedal A just before Syncopated Clock, which I specifically reminded them not to!!! Alex wasn't confident on the Gu Zheng for 菊花台 and therefore under-playing in many places, even making the part look more subsidiary than ever. Frankly, I was upset over this. Ya know, a main highlight of the piece gone under the drain. But after that, I thought it's mostly my fault for giving him the complete score late, hence inadequate time for preparation I suppose. Despite this, I still think he could have done a better job lah. (Read my next post!)

Turkish March was ok, just didn't like the oink-ing 2nd part. Pigs and toads combined.

Czardas was like a main event. A flurrying tempo, messy guitar parts, panting percussions, on-beat tambourine, we ended the piece with a resounding applause. I really didn't like the rendition of the slow section. The accordian player played it like a lament for a dead princess, completely ignoring the gypsy, flambouyant flavour embedded. I think it's a little overly-romantised for me. Well, personal choice I suppose.

I don't like the low sounding Brazilian Street Dance. The tune is good, but the arrangement is a little low for me. The piece sounded most relaxed, upbeat and catchy.

Some of the workings on the day itself were really undesirable. I'm contemplating whether to send a mail to mention about some of those issues.

1 comment:

Wai said...

I'm also wondering whether to put in my 2 cents or not. Frankly, I felt that everything was quite poorly managed on the whole. But then again got to wonder if anything beneficial is going to be accomplished in pouring cold water over the celebrations...