Monday, March 13, 2006

演后感

I must say this is one of those concerts I feel rather hyped-up after. Could be because I was participating in 2 small groups and conducted in 2 pieces too. Hahaha. Though I was running in and out of stage during the first half, it was kinda fun.

My deepest apologies to my dear 三弦 player. Incidentally, I did notice you were tuning the instrument with Edwin. And, incidentally I did not notice you were picking up the Alto! Oops! Started without your glorious pianissississimo tremolo... heh heh... indirectly also startled Mel as well.

Yangyang displayed what would happen if he went into a trance or twilight zone. Things will slow down inevitably. Nonetheless, flawlessly executed, much the small ensemble's surprise and consent too! Quasi Cadenza!

Moh decided that Allegro in Farandole shall not be Andantino on stage. Alto players' eyes dilated for a while and conceeded to his tyrannic offer, the relentless pedal D note, he hummed on the contrabass silently.

Handel was as rehearsed. Perfected actually. Sheepish tone in the later movements from the guitar orchestra. Long and weary feel. Fatigue perhaps.

Duet was fine from backstage, till the end. It sounded like someone missed or was confused as the piece ended quite abruptly, incongruent to the title "Things that we do". Nonetheless a short dessert style piece for the audience after the interval break.

I liked the piece by Daren's group, Pain. I've played Xenosaga too, and I like the gameplay, the story and the music too. They presented it in combo band fashion, was quite refreshing to hear it from backstage.

春节序曲 had to be one of the best pieces in the evening. Nicely placed as the last piece for the night, I thought it roused lots of excitement and gave the audience a new aural sensations, using guitar to portray oriental works. As usual I want to hiss about the Alto's tremelo in the Andante section, sickeningly accelerated without remorse during tremolo, an obvious trait of unpolished music understanding/technique.

Met up with Ruijian, Buk Lan and Kennedy after the concert. I was happy that some of my school people came to attend the concert. (on their own interest, I did not pester them to get tickets) Saw quite many long lost alumni during supper; Sherrie said she might want to come back and join in the Small Ensemble, TMC said that he'll join to guest conduct, jokingly I hope he meant. Daokui also manged to whizz SiewLi back home before meeting us at King Albert for Macs, what a pleasant surprise! Vehicles do miracles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.

U must be trying to get me ready for my shuttle run in IPPT right? To see how fast I can pick up things!

Jokes aside. It was wonderful playing your arrangements, regardless of startling starts. Look forward to more in the future.

Leo

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the playing with EXPOSE! very much. almost Heaven-resque :P

For me, "Spirited Away" is the 1st ensemble piece I've played that have many timing & rhythm twist. Was a challenge for the group, but we pulled it off good (no less ably led by LS's conducting).

Farandole was nitro-boosted all the way...ha ha

EXPOSE!'s stronger music understanding and skill makes the music tight and enjoyable, as observed by Earnest Kwok. He mentioned GENUS playing was kinda "muddy".

Looking fwd to more music making for EXPOSE!
OG