Thursday, December 07, 2006

吉他盛况

To hear the Niibori people do the percussion parts, is truly enlightening.

The resounding thumps still embed in my memory; not just the cohesion in rhythm and sound quality, but mood and in every sense, musicality!

When they do percussion on the guitar, the instrument instantly transforms into a drum!!! I think many a times when we do percussion on the instrument, we still treat the instrument as a "guitar" and hence the percussive sound that is produced lacks the punch and rumble which percussion instruments have. More often than not, dull wood-slapping sounds are heard. Could be technique or interpretation as well. or even the energy of the player.

豪子 feels that the Niibori people 比较敢玩 compared to ourselves, which I agree. He was also telling me about the way the Niibori guitarists do tremolo should be endorsed in GENUS XP. Perhaps I could ask him to explain to the group this Saturday...
(Which suddenly strikes me!!! perhaps he should get a go at conducting as well... since he has a keen musical sense and a good sense of humour)

The ratio of the ensemble that came is about 5 : 3 : 3 : 3 : 2

It was great seeing Manji again, he's taught me a lot during his stay in Singapore 3 years ago.
Think he's grown a bit.
I don't think Manji remembers me, although we shook hands and acknowledged.
To see him playing and hurrying around after concert, reminds me of his passion for music and life. Would love to visit his rehearsals when I go to Japan, not looking like anytime soon though.

I have a feeling that Masak may be revived after this concert. Heh heh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah..totally agree. what a fantastic concert it turned out to be! Worth every penny (of the ticket price), if you asked me.

Masak revival? haha. that's a thought. I'd like that too. sigh.. but our venerable leader seemed more 'discouraged' than 'pumped up' after last nite's concert leh. :P heh

Wai said...

Yea man. The way they drum sounds like some tribal drumbeat. So resonant and nice.