Thursday, January 12, 2006

JC Student blog

As directed by one of Hansen's comments, I went to read this blog by a typical JC student complaining about school woes. An interesting read I must say, full of self-rightness and above all human desires that sort. Kids will always be kids.

As I reviewed the movie "Dangerous Minds" recently, I remember Michelle Pfiffer(care to correct ma spelling?) telling the classroom kids that "you do have a choice whether you want to come to school or not. You may not like any of the choices you have, but you do have a choice." Bottomline is, if you want ask why schools make students wear ties and why do we take O levels and A levels and stuff, might as well lament that your father is not the richest man on Earth. Whether or not, the school is trying to mass produce constructivist products of the Singapore Education, that's really not important. Just be yourself and make the best of life!

I'd really like to speak to such students, too bad mine are too naughty to engage in such wider perspection. But, they are cute in a simple way, defiant and stubborn. Bright side, it's some what tenacious and resilient, though most of their teachers think they are reculcitrant most of the time.

You do have a choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

However, the author is, in a way, no longer a kid. She's in NUS and definitely not one to be classified as spoilt, protected and a brashful kid.

The point is, don't you find her points valid? I do anyway, if you strictly view an educational institution as 'moulding human projects for a purpose'. How to retort or talk sense into someone unwilling to wear a tie properly, if myself am not convinced of tie wearing?

Of course another way to look at it is to instill discipline. However, that bothers me somewhat if it comes from you...somebody that absolutely abhors NS...

eh...don't really understand your 'you can choose' thingy. Are you saying of kids don't agree, they can choose to fuck it? Their conplaint is that the choices are not to their taste! Paiseh me never watch Gangsta Paradise...

So is conformity the thing school is teaching? And if so, can we tell the kids about it (if they understand, of course)...

hehe, you must try to understand from the parang point of view. I'm someone with no absolute, no good, no bad, no God, no sin. So very hard to tell 'right from wrong' because to me they don't exist.

And why am I typing so much here but haven't update my blog for 3 weeks liao? Grr...