Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Present Issue

I think Michelle passed a rather sweeping remark, something like "If I don't say/buy anything, you all won't get any present for *whoever*." I must agree that if I don't have a good idea of what to get for a person, it's very likely I would not get anything for that person's birthday. To me, perhaps a treat at Haagen Daaz or anywhere with nice food will do.

I think everyone has a different way/idea of celebrating birthdays or occasions, some prefer simpler ways, some prefer wine and dine, some chiong pubs and bars, picnics and others extravagant ones at good restaurants. Personally, I don't really mind not recieving presents, simply because I don't really want to inconvenience my friends to get me something. Of course if I do recieve any, they are very much appreciated.

Well, the idea I got from Michelle's tone seems to imply that if you DON'T give a present, hence forth you are undoubtly considered as thoroughly insincere. Irked me a bit, like my way of looking birthdays has been put down/disapproved. Felt that it was rather a narrow point of view. Presents should be given whenever the time/occasion is appropriate, the absence of them should also not mean any other if there's that basic trust and understanding between friends/individuals.

And for the record, I DO give presents to my friends! Like I said, it's when I feel like it!

3 comments:

北海道的大黑熊 said...

i fully support you, owls!!

i really hate looking for b'day presents, man.. unless of cos, i oredi knoe what to get, or the fella has specifically "hinted" he/she desires something.

think there's no point getting a gift for someone, for the sake of getting a gift.. (same goes for x'mas presents..sigh..some companies really have strange 'cultures'..)

Good food and good company will always make a celeb memorable, and is always appreciated! :)

Anonymous said...

my sweeping statement was targetted at guys, with no one in mind particularly, least of all you. i have received presents from you...

haha...just look at shu hann's comment. though it doesn't apply to all guys, but i think, in general, it does lah...

girls are generally more sensitive, and will shop for presents, whether or not it's becos they enjoy the shopping process :)

Anonymous said...

Just to inform you my birthday is on 28 Feb 06. And in case if you ran out of ideas of gifts I'll really appreciate, kindly refer to my blog left hand column.

I accept cash, cheque or Paypal :)