Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Regression, Rebirth or Evolution?

Shuhann, I'm not missing the point. In fact, I concur with you that the player has the choice to stay/quit if he is discontented with the repertoire. And I have also mentioned that it is the conductor's responsibility and right to select the repertoire to be performed.

Thing is, if I may put frankly, we have 2 talented tutors who have been in GENUS longer than 5 Domys added together and they are going to sit by and watch Domy run his uninspiring routine on the group. Of course, we could wait till we have zero ticket sales or mass exodus of members to really start wondering what's happened. As it is, if I had the money to buy over the niibori instruments, I would have left the group already and hopefully brought EXPO along as well.

I think most of us would agree the tutors are definitely in a better position to talk to Domy, and of course they have a personal choice to make as to whether they wish to do so. We could also wait for the ultimate regression of the group before we could proudly justify that it's the conductor's fault for landing the group in a pathetic state. Either way, it mostly hinges on the paths which the leaders take, which is my point.

Perhaps it's really time to look for a community centre to set up something.

1 comment:

北海道的大黑熊 said...

I know, i know.. and i also agree that as the "longest serving" members of Genus currently (as well as being tutors for the group), Raj and I would make the best candidate(s) to make this 'appeal' to the conductor, esp. regarding music aspects.

I am, however, -not- convinced that at this moment, there is a NEED to do that. My views (as well as many old birds around) may be skewed, as we have been 'brought up' in the "Mr A era". Does the present batches of Genus population even feel that there is a problem with the repertoire or practice style? That is my question..

I may not wholly enjoy the new 'mix' of songs that the conductor has chosen to go ahead with. But it does not mean it is necessarily "bad" for Genus. It just means we don't like it. :P

Sigh.. if we could only set up our own orchestra (be it in a CC, or under another wing of CFA..), and play our own music.. yeah. That would be ideal...
(haha.. Alex would know that i've been harping on the splitting up of into 2 distinct groups)