Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Extra Sectionals

I had a session with a few of the Prime juniors just last evening. When I arrived at 1730 hours, there was only one who came. Tian Gang, I think. I knew there was two who couldn't come on time as they had lessons till six. I thought since it's really voluntary service on my part and voluntary participation on their part, I shan't be mean.

Bransles was a struggle for them. Think I went 4 times as slow and they just made it. I asked them if they had done some work on any of the Capriol movements. Some mentioned that they recieved the score quite recently and they only practised it during ensemble sessions! *What!* We plodded along slowly till House M, I decided it was too unbearable to continue, we moved on to Basse Danse and Pavane, which turned out slightly better.

The prime score is badly handwritten, seemingly done in a flurry. Some notes were difficult to read/decipher. Think juniors at the very least, deserves a well-notated score. One that is too messy may not aid in their quest to conquer reading all the notes.

Think it's really tough on them, especially when they have to prepare long pieces like Handel's Concerto and Capriol Suite for the annual concert.

Rehearsals came at 7pm. I wasn't too keen to play so I sat behind and chatted with Shuhann instead. We were commenting that number year 3s was a lot less than it was before, many have left or were too busy to attend rehearsals. Over the years it seems like the number of old/middle-aged/young are balancing out in equal numbers, unlike the usual horde of 15 to 20 juniors or the likes of it in the past.

No comments: