Friday, February 17, 2006

How to cure insomnia

Try going for an organ concert. That's what I did yesterday evening. The organ is really a fascinating instrument, I never knew there was such a wide spectrum of tones and timbre available on the instrument itself. The basic tone which I remember of, prior to attending the concert was the usual Dracula theme, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Martin Setchell was the performer and he wizzed through the first half of Bach's pieces with ease and dexterity. Some of the chorale works really sounded nice, I was also inspired to arrange one of the pieces for small ensemble.

Pictures at an exhibition was presented at the second half. This is really the sound which present lots of the tonal colour the organ was capable of, though some of the timbre, in my opinion, was not very pleasing to hear. Also there was this lag that came with certain parts of the pieces; feels like the organ is responding slower than the organist. Junhao proposed that it may have been done purposely for style; though we agreed it kinda sounded strange.

Nonetheless, Esplanade's organ boasts a fantastic sound; I've wanted to come for this concert after attending an open rehearsal of SSO, Mendelssohn's Elijah. I love the bass notes; such embodying power!

I have been sleepy ever since I went for that concert last night. Yes, I slept almost immediately after I bathed(11:30p.m.); this morning I was still sleepy in the classroom(which usually isn't the case since I'd be perked up after delivering my lesson), and I'm still sleepy now as I'm typing this entry... So to those of you who haven't been sleeping well, try an organ concert.

*yawn*

No comments: